Complaints Procedure

We very much hope that you never have the need to make a complaint, however we all know that things don’t always go to plan. Please find below details of your right to complain and how to do so.

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or service and this is firmly written into the NHS Constitution.

Langdon Hills Medical Centre encourages feedback as it’s useful to improve services. If you wish to share your views and experiences, positive or negative, simply speak with a member of staff. Often, many issues can be resolved by speaking with staff and it’s often worthwhile discussing your concerns early on in order to avoid an official complaint.

Everyone who provides an NHS service in England has their own complaints procedure.  You will find information on the Langdon Hills/Southview Park Surgeries' notice boards at reception or by asking a member of the reception team.

Complaints should be made within 12 months of an incident or of the matter coming to your attention. This time limit can only be extended provided you have good reasons for not making the complaint sooner and it’s possible to complete a fair investigation.

You can make a complaint in several ways and we encourage complaints in writing or by email. Verbal complaints are not recommended as a paper trail is required to ensure that all aspects of your complaint can be thoroughly investigated and documented. 

If you’re complaining on behalf of someone else, include their written consent with your letter as this will speed up the process.

You should expect an acknowledgement of your complaint within 3 working days of receiving your complaint. We aim to respond to a complaint within 10 working days but this will depend on the nature and complexity of your complaint.

Once your complaint has been received, the Practice must carry out a full investigation and provide you with a full written response. The response should set out the findings and, where appropriate, provide apologies and information about what’s being done as a result of your complaint.

If your problem persists or you are not happy with the way your complaint has been handled, you have the right to take your complaint to the relevant ombudsman, details of which are as follows:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman 


Millbank Tower 


London SW1P 4QP 

Tel: 0345 015 4033