Unpaid Carers

Do you look after someone?

Could they manage without your help?


Do you provide unpaid support to a family member, friend or neighbour, who couldn’t manage without your help?

Do they need your help because they are frail, elderly, have a physical illness, long term medical condition, disability, mental health issue or have an addiction to drugs or alcohol?

If the answer is yes to either, or both, of the questions above, it is extremely likely that you are a carer.

If you do look after someone, you can register with your GP as a carer if you are providing this support on a regular basis. If your GP surgery is aware that you are a carer, they can monitor how caring may be affecting your health or emotional well-being and signpost you to additional support.

You do not need to be living with the person you look after to be registered as a carer, nor do you need to be in receipt of carer’s allowance. Also, you do not necessarily need to be providing personal care, you may be providing support with practical needs, physical needs, emotional needs or managing finances.

If you would like to be registered, then please complete this form, and return it to your GP practice. 

Carer Registration Form